Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oscar Fever


If I were to go back in time and change one thing I would have edited Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Must be wondering how? Well I would have included movies in the psychology needs.

Many among us suffer from the obsession for the great work which makes us to appreciate the creativity of the creative ones. Well the fever of movies gets optimum when the Oscar time comes (for me it’s on 365 days a year).

For the next few days I would like to give out my views and my reviews on the Oscar Nomination list. I would analyze each of the nominee my way and let’s see how far can I get with this and most important of all it’s the support of you all that I need to get best out of me. Let’s hope the best nominee wins.

BLACK SWAN

When Nina, a talented young ballerina, is awarded the prized dual role of the White Swan/Black Swan in a production of "Swan Lake," her already fragile mental state begins to deteriorate. Fearing that another dancer's natural affinity for the darker Black Swan character will win her the part, Nina begins a disturbing descent into her own dark side. This is what Black Swan is all about

The best part of the movie is Natalie Portman without her it wouldn’t have been the one among best they way she performs at the final performance was breath taking. Everyone would admit that the movie has a remarkable ending.

Aronofsky has saddled his film with a lot of psychological, you could also say psycho, baggage. Nina’s dilemmas are harder to figure out than a Rubik’s cube, because you’re never quite sure if something is really happening or if that something is only an illusion that goes on inside Nina’s unbalanced head. Nina has a life that exists between two points: the rehearsal room balance bar and her pink and white bedroom that is full of stuffed animals. Who wouldn’t be neurotic going back and forth between those two extremes, on the New York City subway, no less. She imagines a lot of things, and it gets harder and harder to distinguish between the real and the imagined.

Positive -this is the best picture that I have seen all year. It really is that good. Natalie Portman is a wonder to behold as Nina Sairs. You can't take your eyes off of her. Darren Aronofsky has created a masterpiece with this dark fairy tale of lost innocence. My only quibble with the film has to be the completely unnecessary, gratuitous lesbian scene in the middle of the film. I'm the biggest liberal that there is, and even I was taken aback by this scene. I've seen the film twice now, and I still can't place the significance of that one scene. Other than that, the film is perfect. It's still an extremely sexual film, however, and those who are easily offended should stay home. Only serious film buffs need apply. Highly, highly recommended.

My score: - 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment